Saturday, May 2, 2020

Kinnell, Plath, Piercy

Hi folks: for some helpful comments on Kinnell, in "more blogs from previous classes," (6th set) see my comments on Chante's, Deborah's, Michael's, Murat's and Stephen's blogs. For Plath, see my comments Olya's blog.  For Piercy, see my comments on Andrea's and Diana A's blogs; also, in "more blogs from previous classes," (fifth set) see Irina's blog and my comments.   Also, in "bogs for previous classes," for Piercy's "More Than Enough," see my comments on Trisha's blog (3rd set).  Check back for more as I continue to review your blogs...


For Piercy, you may also want to check Meredith Jones article, "Makeover Culture's Dark Side,"  posted to my Eng 12 course on Blackboard this semester (Sp 2020, section  56, CUNYFirst code 15322, respectively--guest access should be allowed, but let me know if problems): go to "course documents," scroll down to "Articles: Media, Cosmetic Surgery (Meredith Jones)," and select the PDF file titled "cossurgmakeover"; read esp the section headed "What A Lovely Corpse," beginning p 96, and esp the highlighted sections on pp 98 and 100--a very interesting discussion of the Snow White fairy tale as it relates to gender issues and cosmetic surgery.  This is support material, but does not replace a secondary source on Piercy's work.

Both Plath's and Piercy's poems explore/explode various stereotypes associated with femininity: Piercy esp body image and gender; Plath conventional notions of motherhood and pregnancy.

No comments: